Planning for your Kitchen renovation
Custom kitchen renovations are a great way to update and transform the heart of your home. If you’re considering a renovation, it’s important to plan and budget carefully to ensure that you get the kitchen you want. At Total living concepts our team of specialized Certified Kitchen and Bath designers (CKBDs) help to guide you through this entire process to make sure you have a design and renovation plan that works for you. Our custom renovations are as unique as the customers we work for. Our goal is to help educate our clients on what options suite their tastes, preferences, and lifestyle.
Here is a checklist to help you get started:
1 ) Define your needs and goals: Before you start planning, take the time to think about what you want from your kitchen. Consider your cooking habits, family size, and the style of your home, and make a list of what you need and want. Our designers will help provide guidance on traffic flow, appliance position in relation to prep areas. There is no detail to be overlooked!
2) Determine your budget: A kitchen renovation can be expensive, so it’s important to set a budget and stick to it. Make sure you include all necessary costs, such as cabinetry, appliances, countertops, and flooring. At the start of our process with our clients we like to establish a ball park of what a job of this nature might cost. There is flexibility that comes what types of materials are selected, or how the layout is created to make sure you’re able to accommodate your wish list in your budget.
3) Consider the layout: The layout of your kitchen is crucial to its overall functionality and efficiency. Think about the placement of appliances, countertops, and cabinets to ensure you have a well-designed space. This ties in well with point number 1. Many meals start with the fridge and go to a prep space. We need to make sure those two spaces aren’t 30 feet from each other, but are accessible and allow for good traffic flow.
4) Choose the right cabinetry: Cabinets are the backbone of your kitchen and should be functional, durable, and attractive. Consider custom-made cabinetry that is tailored to your specific needs and tastes. We’re fortunate to carry 3 incredible lines of Interior Cabinets (Miralis, Art Craft, & Kitchen Craft). Each with their own unique style and artistry. We have beautiful displays of all three manufacturers located at our showroom – please stop by and check them out for yourself!
5) Select appliances: When it comes to appliances, choose models from top brands that are functional and fit your budget. This includes refrigerators, ranges, ovens, and dishwashers. We have great product partners here as well. But understanding the Benefits of a particular appliance is more important than understanding the features. Having 30 pre-sets on your microwave is great but knowing how to easily and efficiently operate it is much more important.
6) Invest in countertops: Countertops are an important component of a kitchen renovation. Choose a material that is durable, attractive, and easy to clean, such as granite, quartz, or marble. Right now quartz is very popular, with so many styles and colours to choose from. We’re so fourtunate to have partnerships with 4 great countertop manufacturers and installers. Silestone, Caeserstone, Cambria & Hanstone.
7) Upgrade the flooring: Choose flooring that is durable and easy to clean, such as hardwood, tile, or something increasing in popularity – Luxury vinyl tile. There’s always the option for in-floor heating which can make your space that much more comfortable.
8) Add special features: Consider special features like custom-made Curio display cabinets, built-in wine refrigerators, and unique lighting fixtures. Custom pull out garbage cabinets and blind corners help to make the most of the space.
By following this checklist, you can be confident that your custom kitchen renovation will be a success. Whether you’re looking for a functional and beautiful space to cook and entertain in, or you want a kitchen that’s designed to fit your specific needs, a custom kitchen renovation can make your dream kitchen a reality.